As the weather gets colder, there are few things more comforting than a warm bowl of chicken soup. The prep for this recipe is super easy. It all comes together in one pot, and you just have to give it time in a low temp oven to do its thing!
One key here is to use a high-quality bone broth! We like Kettle & Fire, but you can also make your own or buy some from a local butcher. It's so much better than regular store-bought broth and it will make a huge difference in terms of flavor.
This recipe serves about 4-6 people!
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- The Chiles
- The Savories
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 whole chipotles in adobo, with their adobo sauce
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped
- olive oil
- fresh herbs and limes for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Salt your chicken thighs on both sides, and season them heavily with several tbsp each of The Chiles and The Savories.
- In a dutch oven, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken thighs for a few minutes on both sides, until they develop a slightly golden-brown crust.
- Add your sweet potato, onion, garlic, chipotle chiles, and kale directly to the pot. Season with salt.
- Add enough broth to cover the entire mixture by a couple of inches, add a bit of salt, and stir.
- Put the top on the dutch oven, and place in the oven to cook for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, pull the chicken from the pot. Shred the chicken in a bowl, discarding the bones.
- Put the shredded chicken back into the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Stir, taste, and add more salt if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and top with fresh herbs (cilantro, mint, and parsley all work well here).
- Finish with a squeeze of lime juice or a spritz of nice vinegar, and a dash of hot sauce.